Message to stakeholders
anglo american plc
Anglo American’s CEO Cynthia Carroll and Chairman Sir Mark Moody-Stuart provide separate discussions of the company’s commitment to CSR with in-depth coverage of progress and challenges. Ms. Carroll focuses on sustainability issues and the risks and opportunities presented to the company. The Chairman’s message highlights key global challenges such as energy security and the lack of regulatory agreement on carbon sequestration.
- Subheads emphasize key topics in the lengthy messages.
- Each message is balanced, providing both good and bad news.
- The CEO’s message invites stakeholder feedback.
canada post corporation
CEO Moya Greene and CSR SVP Robert Waite discuss CSR at Canada Post in their own unique voices. Ms. Greene’s conviction is palpable in almost every line of the letter, particularly when she says CSR is “crucial” and “doesn’t lose its relevance in an economic downturn… it becomes even more important.” Both Ms. Greene and Mr. Waite touch on accomplishments and disappointments over the year with unusual directness.
- Both messages are thoughtful, succinct and balanced. They set a tone of transparency and balance that dominates the report.
Group Chief Executive Tony Hayward answers hard-hitting questions frequently raised by company stakeholders. Tough questions about BP’s capital allocation decisions, safety and operating integrity after the 2005 fire and 2006 pipeline leaks are addressed candidly, setting up comprehensive discussions of the issues that follow in the remaining pages of the report.
- Frank Q&A-style message establishes the tone for rest of report.
- The editorial approach to photography suits the Q&A-style message.
- A link at the bottom of the page takes readers to additional speeches made by BP executives on CSR issues.